Monday, March 31, 2014

Working Out

Yesterday, I did a little researching online for a new workout program that I could do at the gym.  I like having plans--goals to accomplish. I was on the Women's Health website, came across a 12 month transformation program from trainer Chris Powell (Extreme Weight Loss on ABC), and thought I would give it a shot.  Each month is designed to target something different.  Month one is 2-3 days of cardio intervals and 3 days of a strength training routine and is intended to build muscle and nail proper exercise form.  

I read the article, downloaded the guide, and watched the video on how to do the strength training exercises.  I decided to start with a cardio day which means doing cardio intervals.  You can walk, run, swim, or bike. The interval workout instructed to warm up for five minutes and then increase your effort using a scale of 1 to 10. You do three minutes at level 5, two minutes at level 7, and one minute at level 9 (this should be near your all-out max) and that equals one complete circuit.  Then you repeat the circuit 4 more times for a total of 5.  The levels are based on what you are capable of personally.  So, my level 5 is going to be different than Kyle's level 5 and his level 5 would be different than the guy next to him.

We got to the gym and I was determined to give it my best.  I did the five minute warm up by walking on the treadmill, then I went to a jog for 3 minutes, a faster jog for 2, and an even faster jog for 1 minute.   I was only able to complete 2 circuits at that level.  Isn't it funny how fast those five warm up minutes go by and how slow that one minute of pushing yourself drags on?

I decided to finish out the workout though and just change up my levels.  I think I was a little too ambitious straight out of the gate, especially since I have not been using the treadmill at all for my cardio.  For the last three circuits I did a fast walk for 3 minutes, a faster walk for 2 minutes, and then a jog for 1 minute.  I was just glad I completed it, regardless of having to tone it down a little.  I was sweating by the end of the 35 minutes, which for me is a good sign of pushing myself.  I rarely sweat when working out.  It takes a lot for me to sweat.  My legs were more sore today from the cardio yesterday than they have been when I have done leg days at the gym.

Today will be the strength training day and I am excited to do something new but also to be doing something that takes me out of my comfort zone.  If I could have my way, I would have my own home gym with all the works so I could workout in private, but I am not a millionaire.  One of the things I am trying to work on in my 26th year of life is bringing myself outside of my comfort zone.  Some of these exercises involve looking a little silly, in my opinion, so I'm nervous and excited to try them out. 

One thing that attracted me to this workout plan is the time it takes to complete it.  It should only take about 30-35 minutes to do the cardio or the strength training.  I also like that when you do the strength training exercises you don't rest in between them.  I get so antsy and bored when I have to wait around.  I'm the type where I would rather work really hard for 30 minutes than take my time for an hour.  I like to be in and out.  I also like the fact that the workout is intended for people who are really in shape, kind of in shape, getting in shape, and people who are completely out of shape.  It's up to you to put in your best effort.

I should also mention that Kyle and I have been trying out intermittent fasting.  This means we eat only between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.  8 hours of eating and 16 hours of fasting or as most people call it, 8-16's.  It's kind of amazing how fast I have adjusted to this as far as being hungry.  I am not hungry before ten or after six like I thought I would be (except on my period-I am hungry all the time).  The one thing that bothers me about doing an 8-16 is having to fit the eating within that small window.  For instance, I needed to run some errands on Saturday and when I set out to do them I realized that I would not be back home in time to eat before 6 if I were to do all of my errands. 10:00 in the morning is usually not a problem, but sometimes it's tricky to plan around having to eat before 6:00.  Other than that, it has not been very difficult at all.

I am excited to try this out and I am dreading month two already because of some of the strength exercises.  Doing mountain climbers and medicine ball slams in front of strangers is frightening to me, but I can do it!

If you are interested at all in this training plan you can check out all of the months here:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/tags/transformation

If you want to download the monthly guides, you have to register on the website but it's free.

I hope whatever you are doing for your workouts is going splendidly!

Enjoy these gym memes as a thank you for reading my babble.












Xoxo,

Nicole 

No comments:

Post a Comment