Thursday, March 25, 2010

Patience

An incident occurred in class today that got me thinking.  
I guess it really more than anything made me want to be a teacher.
Hearing, "I just have no patience for that girl," made me remember why I want to be a teacher.
While the ultimate goal is to make sure my students are successful and reach their potential, it is also to provide a safe place for kids who come to school and see it as an escape.

It just donned on me today that I have absolutely no idea what these kids go through at home, and while I would love to believe they have a safe place to lay their head at night, I know that this is most likely not true for every student.

I just can't seem to get the little girl that is not shown grace, patience, kindness, and love at school out of my mind.
I hope she is safe and sound, dreaming pleasant dreams.

I just can't seem to shake the idea that she has had something tragic happen to her.
I hope I don't ever say, "I just don't have any patience for that girl (or boy)."  

Patience is most definitely something that can easily be found . . . if and when we look in the right direction:  Jesus.

Jesus,

Give me patience in the present and the future.  Help me to be a light and a beacon of hope to little boys and girls that live in a world of darkness.




I feel like that little girl told me something for a reason.  

2 comments: