Friday, February 19, 2010

Where I'm From


I had to write this poem for my student teaching class.  It ended up being kind of fun, so I thought I would share.  Try it, it's fun.  It's called Where I'm From .  I didn't follow it completely, but if you click on Where I'm From below, it will take you to a website that shows the template of the poem by George Ella Lyon.



I am from Pinesol, from Bibles and old cassette tapes.

I am from the pool in the backyard I swam in every summer.

I am from front yard baseball, Mr. Dudley's Oreo's, and Mountain Shadow Drive; the street that lead me to school, to friends, and to a house that was home.

I am from grilled cheese sandwiches and "I love you, Mom" notes, from Tetris and Clue, and from dos and from don'ts.  

I am from the practical and rash, from rise and shine and give God the glory.

I'm from bedtime prayers and Price is Right, from Disneyland and black and white.

I'm from tiny Post, Texas where Grandmother lived.  
From the rolls of quarters granddad had and the clip-on earrings that Granny wore.
I'm from the blankie from Grandma that's tattered and torn.

In a cabinet at home are the many home videos, replaying moments I often forget, of the faces of angels and family still here.  

I am from the memories recorded and the stars of the tapes, the voices I hear, and the steps that I take.




2 comments:

  1. i love this. i love how it is sooo you and it even kind of rhymes even though it isn't necessarily supposed to. i just love this. i'm glad you posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw i love this too.
    & that photo of you & zak is amazin'

    ReplyDelete