Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Soundtracks and Secrets

I am supposed to write for thirty minutes in the next week.  I am thinking it will be really easy.

Lately, I have been fascinated with music.  Yes, I love to sing, and I love to listen to music, but more than anything I love to listen to a song and picture a moment in my life.  Whether it is a moment passed, or a moment that I look forward to, I love to put a soundtrack to it.

Today, I put on The Book of Love by Peter Gabriel.  It is such a beautiful song and really puts the way I feel about love into perspective.  I've heard it said that "everything is more beautiful when you are in love" and I believe that to be a really honest statement.  The simplest things are beautiful.  My favorite part of the song is this verse:

The book of Love is long and boring.
It's full of charts and facts and figures and
instructions for dancing.
But I love it when you read to me and you
you can read me anything.

I know it might sound cheesy or sappy, but love to me means enjoying the most boring of moments.  When I hear this song I picture dancing with my husband on our wedding day.  The way I see it (if it were a movie) the people all around would be out of focus and only he and I would be clear, because that's the way I would feel in that moment.

Often times, more often than not, I experience something and have a song playing in my mind.

I hear the song Stolen by Dashboard Confessional and picture a handsome boy getting on one knee and asking me to marry him.  I hear Smile by Nat King Cole and I picture one day being able to cheer up my daughter when someone has hurt her feelings.  I hear Wildfire by Michael Martin Murphy and flashbacks of times with my granny flood my mind.  I hear Ice Age by Pete Yorn and I remember my freshman year of college when I felt so alone, but when I was also making new friends.  I hear Only You by David Crowder and I remember a time in my life when I was really sad and my heart was broken.  I hear Home by Michael Bublé and I remember all the times I have felt so homesick and my heart ached to be somewhere comfortable.  I hear Til Kingdom Come by Coldplay and I remember my crush on Kyle in the summer of 2008 and how nervous I felt when I was around him.  I hear Inflatable by Bush and I think of the first year I felt like my brother saw me as a friend and not just a little sister.

There are many times when a song will come on and at the drop of a hat, my eyes well up with tears.  I love the way music can be so influential and powerful, which is why I wish my voice could be heard.  The other night, at home, my brother and Kyle just played the guitar while I sang.  Kyle played mainly Beatles songs and Zak, stuff he has written.  It was one of my favorite moments.  I am so comfortable with familiar faces, a guitar, and a little bit of confidence.  I think I sound best with just an acoustic guitar, which is why I wish someone would pick me up to be in their folk band, or even better, that Kyle and I would be cool enough to start one.

There are many things I dream about, that I don't tell a soul, but maybe one day just one dream of mine will become a reality.

When I listen to music, I get antsy.  I wish so badly that I could sing with some of the people whose voices I admire most.

Maybe one day.

1 comment: